Monday, August 3, 2009

Harvest on the Table ~ Royal Burgandy Beans and Mushrooms Sauteed in Garlic

I have a confession to make. I don't like beans. They were a staple of our diet when I was growing up and I guess I just ate my fill about 20 years ago or so. I planted them this year with plans to use them in the homecooked dog food I make. (Last year, I froze about 100lb of zucchini from my garden for dog food and hope to do the same this year in addition to the beans).

My sister was over a few weeks ago and suggested I try cooking the beans differently. I took her advice and wow! They were really good. I started by sauteing a minced clove of garlic in olive oil, throwing in 2c of sliced fresh mushrooms, and after those started to create steam, 1-1/4c fresh royal burgany beans from my garden.

I cooked them all over med-high heat until the beans were tender.


As promised on the seed package, the beans turned green as they cooked. I seasoned to taste with fresh ground pepper, seasoned salt, and lemon pepper. They didn't even taste like beans. So, unfortunately, I can't tell you if the royal burgandy beans taste different from regular green beans, hahaha. But, they were yummy!


Do you have a good green bean recipe to share?

1 comment:

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

I love beans! I'll have to try that recipe. -Jackie